Signs and Synchronicity

There’s a message in the wild / And I’m sending you this signal tonight…”
Lyrics from “Missing You” by John Waite

I look up from whisking a couple of eggs I’m about to scramble for breakfast on Sunday morning, my gaze lingers down the hallway and onto the deck to see Lexington relaxing on the chaise lounge. An Alison Krauss CD is playing in the living room, and the moment I hear the lyrics, “I ain’t missing you at all, since you’ve been gone away…” she sings in a duet with John Waite is when I see Lexington, and for a second, I see Topper next to him. I blink. Topper’s gone.

IMG_9258

The defiant lyrics of self-protective denial after lost love ring true as I subconsciously trick myself into believing that Topper is still here. I ain’t missin’ you Topper, because you’re not really gone.

IMG_7125After breakfast, I checked-out Instagram and the first thing I saw was a post by musician Adam Lasher to which someone made a comment referring to his cockatiel named Topper. Hmmm. Coincidence….? I think to myself.

Later on Sunday, it was almost twilight as I drove down Laguna Canyon Road to meet my friend Lori at The Cliff for a view of the sunset and a glass of wine when the car driving next to me sped-up causing me to see its license plate, which included the letters PAW. I smiled, thinking how cute that license plate has the word, “paw” in it! I glanced over to oncoming traffic, all the beach-goers heading home and I see another license plate, which among its numeric identification included the letters PAW. Seriously? Seeing the word “paw” in two different license plates within three seconds of each other must be some kind of sign, I muttered to myself.  As the sun went down, Lori and I pondered the possible meaning of the “double-paw” sign. We came up with a few ideas: my strong animal—particularly cat connection; feline finger-gunning (paw-paw); a reminder that horses also call to my soul and that I must get back to riding lessons someday—no wait, that would be a “hoof-hoof” sign, I said. We cracked-up laughing as we attempted to crack the case of the mysterious “double paw” license plate sign.

IMG_0262

IMG_9100

This morning as the synchronistic events lingered in my mind, it hit me: maybe the “double-paw” sign was another way of Topper getting through to me; his way of saying hello and comforting me, letting me know that he’s still around, just in a different way.

Hey, Top Cat, I am missing you, a lot, even though I’m starting to adjust to your departure.

IMG_6336

Keep the signs coming, Love Bug.

About CatLadyintheCanyon

Writer, artist, passion for animals, Mother Nature, and music.
This entry was posted in animal empathy, Cats, Grieving, Music, Pet Loss, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Signs and Synchronicity

1. Jim Knudsen says:

Pam, could you place this blog in Facebook.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:09 PM Cat Lady in the Canyon wrote:

> CatLadyintheCanyon posted: ““There’s a message in the wild / And I’m > sending you this signal tonight…” Lyrics from “Missing You” by John Waite I > look up from whisking a couple of eggs I’m about to scramble for breakfast > on Sunday morning, my gaze lingers down the hallway and onto t” >

2. Tanya says:

You are killing me with these sweet stories Pam. Very touching and well written my dear. Love ya. T

3. Awe, I’m glad you enjoyed my latest about the Top Cat, Lady T.! 😉

4. Auntie rachel says:

Luv it !

5. Can’t tell you enough how much I love this post! I sooo believe in “signs” (with humans and animals), “there are NO coincidences” and……….I LOVE the song you quoted, one of my faves!

6. Marilyn Evans says:

Sweet!

Love, Marilyn

7. trishmorse1 says:

Loved your blog! Very sweet and I always love your photos!
    There is no such thing as coincidence!
    Sweet Topper is always with you and loves watching you from above!

8. Lori DeNuccio says:

I love this story, I’m sitting here with a big smile on my face!
    Topper is with you, it’s awesome when your life just flows and you notice the signs… No coincidence.
    Love you girlfriend

9. That is a amazing and helpful blog about cats. if you have subscriber list plz add me to

• Hello, and thank you for reading! I’m happy that you’ve enjoyed my stories. You can subscribe by providing your email in the space for email on the right margin of the blog, then click “follow.” 🙂

Best regards,